What's the Difference Between Web Design vs Web Development?
Web design refers to how a website appears to users on the internet and the website’s overall usability. Web development involves writing the code to make the web design become a reality.
Website CMS’s like WordPress and Drupal automate some development responsibilities by providing templates and plugins out of the box to help you get started. For more complex websites, we recommend hiring a web development company with experience developing for your website CMS. A skilled web developer will help you execute on your designs, maintain your website, and provide recommendations for security and performance.
What Are the Types of Web Design?
There are 8 main types of web design:
- Brochure websites: A simple website that highlights a person or business with a few static pages. It is inexpensive and easy to build and may be enough for some small business or individual needs.
- E-commerce websites: Allow you to sell products from your site and share essential information about the products you offer. Some e-commerce websites also have a blog.
- Portfolio websites: Best for creatives like artists and photographers who want to display their work. Typically, portfolio websites include a couple informational pages like a brochure website, as well as visuals and images to showcase creative work.
- Blog websites: Feature articles, images, and videos and are the most popular type of website. They often have hundreds of pages and can make money from affiliate marketing and ads.
- Directory websites:List companies, products, or services and provide data to help people make a decision. Websites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Clutch are examples of directory websites.
- Think Facebook and Pinterest. Social media websites create interactions between users.
Which Types of Websites Are Most Visited?
The most visited sites are informational sites like Wikipedia and YouTube. Following them is the tremendous e-commerce site Amazon. After that, the most popular websites are social media or informational forums, like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Reddit.
While it may be frustrating to realize that you are unlikely to be able to compete with these giant sites, you should be encouraged to realize that you can use them to your advantage. Answering questions on sites like Quora or Reddit, having a social media presence, and advertising on giants like YouTube can propel your website to thousands of pageviews.