What Is the Mobile App Development Process?
The mobile app development process includes 7 key steps: determine goals, develop a strategy, plan the project, design the UI and UX, develop the app, test the app, and launch the app. These steps ensure proper conceptualization, planning, development, and deployment for a mobile app.
- Determine goals and objectives. Before you begin building a mobile app, you must determine why you're making an app. When establishing goals and objectives for your app, think about the problem you want to solve, why you want to solve this problem, and who will use your app to address the problem. Remembering your answers to these questions will help you remain on track.
- Develop a strategy. A strategy acts as a road map for any team beginning to develop a mobile app. It defines use cases, audiences, KPIs, technology, and even the marketing plan. Creating a strategy first ensures the final product is the proper solution for your audience.
- Plan the project. While a strategy helps you figure out a high-level approach to building and delivering your mobile app, a project plan will further map out the details. This should include requirements for the app, such as milestones, budget, resources (internal or external), and more.
- Design the UI and UX. An important step in building a mobile app is designing the user interface and user experience. You want to ensure the app is laid out attractively and intuitively for the user and the developer understands what she needs to build. This step should include wireframes, a style guide, information architecture, and workflows.
- Develop the app. This is where all the planning and strategy work pays off. Ideally, the development process includes determining which technology to use when building the app, how it should work with the backend and server, API considerations, and how it works with the different mobile platforms.
- Testing the app. The app testing phase of the development process can result in the success or failure of the project. Test repeatedly to find all potential bugs and identify any shortcomings the app might exhibit after launch. If problems or bugs are found, this is the time to fix them.
- Launch the app. Once the final version of the app is designed, developed, and tested, it's ready for launch. Depending on your strategy, you can deploy your app with a soft launch, where there is no fanfare and its usage grows organically by word of mouth. Another option is a major launch, where you make an announcement to the press and potential users using a press release or marketing campaign.
By following these steps, you will develop a successful app that solves a meaningful problem for your audience.
How Much Does It Cost To Make an App?
The cost for developing an app can vary, depending on the type of app, the functionality, and if development is handled internally or through external resources. Estimates for app development can be as little as $50,000 or as much as $250,000.
For most organizations whose core competencies are not in app development, outsourcing the work to an onshore or offshore resource might be the best option, as there is greater access to a wider range of expertise that can deliver the type of app you really want.
Who Are the Best App Developers?
The best app developers are:
- Hedgehog Lab
- Droids on Roids