What Is Back-End Web Development?
Back-end web development is the server or database side of a web-based solution. The back-end usually refers to the area that is not visitor-facing and functions behind the scenes of a public-facing website or interface.
Back-end development refers to the three parts of a web solution. These include the server, the database, and the application. Although users cannot see this area, the code used in back-end development is what communicates the database information to the browser that visitors can see.
Back-end development uses programming languages such as Java, Ruby on Rails, Python, and PHP. Back-end developers are usually focused on a website’s speed and responsiveness, while also making sure the back end syncs with the site's front end.
What Are the Best Back-End Web Development Languages?
The best back-end web development languages include the following:
- Java: Used for projects that involve a lot of data, Java is a programming language created and released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. Known as a fast, secure, and reliable language, Java is used for mobile computing, games, and desktop computing.
- PHP: A widely-used open-source scripting language, Hypertext Preprocessor, or PHP, is a popular web development language that can be inserted into HTML. PHP manages dynamic content, session tracking, databases, and e-commerce websites.
- Python: Known as a general-purpose, high-level programming language, Python is ideal for back-end development, data science, and writing system scripts.
- Ruby on Rails: Written in Ruby, Ruby on Rails is a server-side tool that gives web developers a framework that delivers default structures for a database, web services, or web pages.
- .NET: An open-source developer platform, .NET was developed by Microsoft and runs mostly on Microsoft Windows. .NET features an extensive class library and works in conjunction with several other programming languages.
While there isn’t one language that is the best for back-end web development, partly because multiple languages are used on a single website, the above languages are the most popular and commonly used by developers.